COVID-19 Resources for Residential Tenants

Updated June 30, 2021

The law in this area is changing often. This page and some of the links here may not have the latest information. For the latest, visit the Oregon State Bar website ».

If you are having a hard time paying rent, you are not alone. Unfortunately, the Oregon Department of Justice (DOJ) does not have authority over landlord-tenant disputes and cannot provide you with legal advice. However, we hope this page can be a starting point for renters who need help.

State Eviction Moratorium Ends June 30, 2021

Oregon’s eviction moratorium » kept many renters in their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic. But that special protection ended on June 30, 2021. If you want to continue living in your home, you must pay July rent or take action.

If you still owe rent from April 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, you have until February 28, 2022 to repay it. However, you must pay your current rent starting July 1, 2021 if you want to keep living in your home. If you can’t pay your July rent, read on or dial 211 » for information about services that can help.

Federal Eviction Moratorium Extended Until July 31, 2021

On June 24, 2021, the CDC extended the federal eviction moratorium until July 31, 2021. If you can’t pay your July rent, see if you qualify for protection under the CDC order ».

To be protected by the CDC order during July, you must fill out a declaration form. You must submit the form to your landlord. All adults on the lease must sign and submit a declaration. This form is not the same as the Oregon form you might have used before. Find the form in many languages at the CDC website ».

Help with Rent

If you can’t pay your rent, you may qualify for help from the Oregon Emergency Rental Assistance Program (OERAP) ». The OERAP helps low-income households with rent and utilities. In most cases, OERAP funds go directly to landlords and utility providers.

You do not need to submit proof of immigration or citizenship status to apply for rent assistance through the OERAP, and information is available in several languages on their webpage. If you are homeless, you might be able to get help with future rent if you enter a new lease.

Applying for help from the OERAP will protect you from eviction for nonpayment for 60 days. To get that protection, you must submit proof of your application to your landlord. The important thing is to apply as soon as you can if you need help. Learn more here ».

There might be other services that could help you pay your rent. To find out and learn more, dial 211 ». You can also contact your local community action agency to see if you qualify for help. Find your local agency here ».

Learn More

Oregon Law Help, which is run by legal aid organizations, has more information about the end of the eviction moratorium. You can find it here ». They also have a site just for renters, called Oregon Renters Rights ». The site has information in many languages ».

The City of Portland has an FAQ for renters and landlords. Many of the questions on that page apply across the state. You can find it here ».

The federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has a page for renters across the country. You can find it here ».

Legal Help

Legal aid offices connect low-income individuals with free legal help. Learn more and find your local office here ».

The Oregon State Bar helps moderate-income individuals find affordable legal help through its Modest Means program. Learn more here ».

The Oregon State Bar also runs a general lawyer referral service. Learn more here ».