Online and Printed Opinions
This database of Attorney General opinions is provided for your convenience. Differences, if any, between online and printed versions are resolved in favor of the printed copy.
For official printed copies by mail or email, call us at 503-947-4540. Pre-payment is required for any copying and mailing costs.
Formal and Informal Opinions
The opinions fall into two broad categories:
- Formal Opinions
- Address constitutional issues and matters of statewide concern
- Are signed by the Attorney General
- Are listed in the subject index with a four-digit number, i.e. “OP 8246”
- Informal Opinions
- Address matters with little or no community impact
- Are signed by the Chief Counsel of the Department of Justice General Counsel Division
- Are listed in the subject index with a year and dash, i.e. “OP 1997-1”
Access Online Opinions
Use the search below to find an opinion on a specific topic, or browse the most recent summaries.
Search the Attorney General Opinions
Department of Consumer & Business Services
March 14, 2019
This opinion addresses the use of private entities to perform governmental functions.
Governor Kate Brown
February 20, 2019
This opinion addresses the enforceability of an 1865 treaty with the Warm Springs tribe with respect to the tribe’s off-reservation hunting rights.
Oregon Department of Human Services
September 11, 2018
This opinion addresses mandatory child abuse reporting in the context of sexual activity between minors.
Oregon Health Authority
August 21, 2018
This opinion addresses whether the Oregon Health Authority can disclose in bulk the addresses of medical marijuana grow sites to law enforcement.
Oregon Board of Licensed Professional Counselors & Therapists
February 15, 2018
The right of a noncustodial parent to inspect a child’s records from a licensed professional counselor or a marriage and family therapist.