In recognition of Child Abuse Prevention Month – April 2018, the Oregon Child Support Program provides the following statistics and resources:
Child Abuse Facts and Statistics
- Child abuse and neglect affects over one million children every year and costs our nation $220 million every day.
- The United States has one of the worst records of child abuse among industrialized nations – on average between four and seven children die every day due to child abuse and neglect.
- More than 70% of the children who died as a result of child abuse or neglect were two years of age or younger. More than 80% were not yet old enough for kindergarten.
- Individuals who reported six or more adverse childhood experiences had an average life expectancy two decades shorter than those who reported none.
- The financial costs for victims and society are substantial. The total lifetime estimated financial cost associated with just one year of confirmed cases of child maltreatment is $124 billion.
- Oregon DHS – Report Abuse and Neglect: 1-855-503-SAFE (7233)
- CARES Northwest: 503-276-9000
- Oregon Crime Victims Law Center: 503-208-8160
- Oregon Department of Justice – Child Abuse Resources
- Prevent Child Abuse America