Receiving Support Payments

Learn more about applying for child support.

Receiving Child Support Payments

We want receiving a support payment to be as convenient as possible. As a parent receiving support, you have two options:

  1. Direct deposit into a checking or savings account
  2. Electronic deposits made to a U.S. Bank ReliaCard® Visa prepaid debit card

To receive payments via direct deposit, you must have a U.S. domestic bank account. No bank account is necessary to receive funds on a ReliaCard® Visa prepaid debit card. To learn more about the debit card, see U.S. Bank ReliaCard® FAQs » or U.S. Bank ReliaCard® FAQs – Spanish.

Setting Up or Changing Child Support Payments

To begin receiving child support payments or to change how you currently receive support payments, complete one of the forms below. If you don’t let us know how you want to receive your child support payments, we will enroll you in the ReliaCard® option:

  1. Direct Deposit Enrollment/Authorization Form (PDF) » | En Español (PDF) »
  2. ReliaCard® Disclosure and Enrollment/Authorization Form:

I have read and accept the U.S. Bank ReliaCard® Fee Schedule and Pre-Acquisition Disclosure »

Once completed, please return to the following address, fax it to the number below, or upload it through your online account:

ATTN: Electronic Payments
Oregon Child Support Program
PO Box 14320
Salem, OR 97309-5048
Fax: 503-986-2416

Direct Deposit and Electronic Payment FAQs

Open All

Can I upload my Enrollment Authorization form to my online account?

Yes, be sure to include all required information or documentation.

Are all payments of child support sent electronically?

All child support payments to parents receiving support are intended to be paid electronically. Child support disbursements are made either by direct deposit to a bank account or onto a ReliaCard—unless an exception has been granted. The first payment may be sent by check.

What are the benefits of direct deposit?

  • No need to go to a bank
  • Eliminates the possibility of lost or stolen checks
  • Payments are still deposited even if you’re away and your mail is held
  • Funds may be available sooner than paper checks

How do I request direct deposit?

The Enrollment/Authorization Form (CSF 080700A) » is available both online or by mail, if necessary. To request an Enrollment Authorization Form by mail, call 800-850-0228.

Do I need to include anything else with my application?

If depositing to a checking account, attach a preprinted VOIDED check or other bank documentation. Or your financial institution representative may sign or stamp your completed authorization or provide you with a bank authorization letter.

Can I fax my enrollment/authorization form?

Yes, our fax number is 503-986-2416. Be sure to include all the information or documentation required.  

When will my direct deposit go into effect?

Once your authorization form has been received and processed, a three-business day “prenote” process occurs. This allows the Oregon State Treasury time to verify that the account provided will accept direct deposit.

Once the prenote process is complete, an activation letter will be mailed to you indicating “active” status and the account number(s) where the funds will be deposited. Please review this information for accuracy.





What happens if money is received on my case during the three-day prenote period?

Any money received on your case during the "prenote" process will be mailed to you as a paper check.

A payment shows on your system but is not in my account. What should I do?

Payments may take 2-3 business days to post to your bank account after the payment is visible on your child support online account. If it is not posted to your direct deposit account after this time, contact your financial institution to confirm, then contact us at 800-850-0228.

When the deposit is made to my account, will I be notified by mail?

No. To verify deposited funds, you should contact your financial institution. You may also check your Oregon Child Support Program online account payment history to see your accounting records or call 800-850-0228 to verify the date of deposit.


What happens if I close my bank account?

You will need to open another savings or checking account and enroll in direct deposit or enroll in the ReliaCard program. If you do not enroll in either program, you will automatically be enrolled in the ReliaCard program.

What happens if I close my bank account without notifying the Oregon Child Support Program?

If your payment is sent to a closed account (and you don’t owe money to the bank), the bank will return the payment to us, and it will be reissued by paper check. This may take up to two weeks. If you owe money to the bank, they will not return the payment.




What happens if I cancel my direct deposit?

We will cancel it so payments will not be deposited to your account. A ReliaCard may be automatically set up for you within the next 30 days.

What if I have additional questions about direct deposit and electronic payments?

You may review the ReliaCard FAQs, submit a message through your Oregon Child Support Program online account, or contact your case manager or Customer Service at 800-850-0228 or



Can I get an exception to receiving my payments electronically?

Maybe. We will consider special circumstances on a case-by-case basis to decide if an exception to disbursing payments electronically is available to you.

How do I make a request for an exception to receiving my payments electronically?

You must make a request for an exception by submitting a Request for Exception to Electronic Disbursement Enrollment form, linked below. We will review the request and notify you of our decision within 30 days of receiving your request.

What criteria does the Oregon Child Support Program use when making its decision about exceptions to sending payments electronically?

We review the situation to evaluate whether sending payments by paper check is in the best interest of the children.

Where do I find answers to my questions about exceptions and receiving checks?

Contact your case manager or Customer Service at 800-850-0228 or

If I normally pay support, will any refunds due to me come in a paper check?

Yes, funds returned to parents who pay support or to employers will be disbursed as a paper check.

General FAQs about Receiving Child Support

Open All

Who can receive child support services?

Child support services are available to both parents. Even if you or the other parent live in another state, you can apply for child support services in Oregon. Relatives or other caretakers who have physical custody of a child are also entitled to child support services. Students, age 18 to 21, who are attending school may be entitled to child support services.

Who provides child support services?

The Oregon Child Support Program is the state-run federal program that provides full child support services to anyone who requests them, regardless of income.

The Oregon Child Support Program is administered by the Oregon Department of Justice (DOJ) Division of Child Support (sometimes referred to as DCS). In 19 counties, district attorney offices assist with managing some of the cases.

If your child receives or has received public assistance in Oregon, the DOJ Division of Child Support provides your child support services. Public assistance means Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) » or Medicaid (including the Oregon Health Plan). The DOJ Division of Child Support also provides services if your child is in the care or custody of the Oregon Department of Human Services » (foster care).

If your child has not received public assistance, your case may be handled by either the DOJ Division of Child Support or by a local district attorney office in some counties. Either way, it is part of the Oregon Child Support Program. You can contact Customer Service at 800-850-0228 with questions or check your online account to find out which office is handling your case.

Who do I contact for child support services?

If you have questions about establishing paternity, or establishing, modifying, or ensuring compliance with a support order, contact Customer Service at 800-850-0228 or

What is expected of me?

If you are thinking of applying for public assistance, you may want to contact the Oregon Child Support Program first. We may be able to help you get child support, which may mean you can avoid going on public assistance.

If you receive public assistance, you are required to cooperate with the Oregon Child Support Program. However, if you can show that doing so would be harmful to you or your child, you may be exempt from cooperating. Read more about support for child abuse and domestic violence.

Whether or not you receive public assistance, your cooperation with the Oregon Child Support Program is necessary to successfully establish paternity or establish and collect child support.

Any information you have about the other parent is helpful in enforcing support. Although it is not a requirement for application, you should include as many of the following pieces of information as you can on the application to help the case manager locate the parent and collect support:

  • The full name and address (or last known location) of the other parent
  • The parent’s Social Security number (can be found on things such as pay stubs, old tax forms, or health insurance forms)
  • The parent’s date of birth (or approximate age)
  • The current or last place the parent worked
  • If there was a divorce, the county and state in which the divorce occurred, and a copy of the order or the county and state where there is any other support order
  • The birth certificate and Social Security number of the child
  • Information about any assets such as bank accounts, vehicles, or land that the other parent may have

How do I receive services?

If your child receives public assistance from the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS), your child support case should be referred automatically to the DOJ Division of Child Support for Oregon Child Support Program services. That is also true if your child is in the custody of the Oregon Department of Human Services » (foster care).

If your child does not receive public assistance or your case was not automatically referred to us, you can apply for services. You will need to complete an application. You will be charged a one-time fee of $1 that will be deducted from the first money we collect. See How to Apply for Child Support Services for more information.

What services are not provided?

Legal Advice – The Oregon Child Support Program represents the state of Oregon and we cannot offer legal advice. Any person involved in a case handled by the program may hire an attorney at their own expense. In contempt and criminal nonsupport cases, the court will appoint an attorney to represent the person charged if that person cannot afford an attorney. See Get Legal Help for more information.

Please tell us if you have an attorney who represents you in any child support matter. We must work with your attorney unless your attorney says we can talk with you.

Spousal Support – Spousal support is enforced only if there is also child support. If there is no child support order but the person receiving support receives public assistance in any form, we can put income withholding into place for the spousal support. The Oregon Child Support Program does not provide other enforcement.

Visitation & Legal Custody – The Oregon Child Support Program cannot advise you about visitation or custody matters. These matters must be discussed with a private attorney or handled in court.

Other entities in Oregon offer family mediation services. See Parenting Time for more information.

Why doesn’t my case balance match the balance on my billing statement?

A payment may have been processed between the time the billing statement is generated and the time it is received. Sometimes, the Oregon Child Support Program needs to make an adjustment to your child support case based on a timeframe before the billing statement. When this occurs, it may affect your current case balance. This may happen when we receive a federal or state tax refund offset (intercept) from the current or prior filing year—and the case balance must be adjusted. The negative adjustment will reflect the collection date of the tax offset.

We receive negative adjustments for both federal and state tax refund offsets throughout the calendar year. You can review your collection dates in your online account under My Payments. If you don’t have an online account, you can sign up here. Contact Customer Service at 800-850-0228 or for assistance.

How do I contact my case manager?

You can reach your case manager through your online account or by contacting Customer Service at 800-850-0228 or

How do I update my address?

You can update your address:

Oregon Child Support Program
PO Box 14680
Salem, OR 97309

How do I change the amount I receive or have to pay?

You may ask the Oregon Child Support Program to review the child support or medical support terms of your support order. We will begin the review only if:

  • it has been at least 35 months since the date the support order was entered, reviewed, or last modified, or
  • you can show proof there has been a substantial change of circumstances.
    • This could mean a change in custody, the needs of the child(ren), or the number of children covered by the support order.
    • It could also mean a significant change in a parent’s income or a change in medical support.

For more information, see Modify an Existing Child Support Order.

Who can I contact about changing the current child support laws?

The Oregon Child Support Program itself does not have the authority to make changes to state or federal laws.

Oregon State Legislature – Find Your Legislator »

You may also email your concern or suggestion to Constituent Services at

Who can I contact regarding the website?

If you have suggestions for how we can improve the Oregon Department of Justice and Oregon Child Support Program website, please send your comments through our feedback form. We value your opinion and look forward to hearing from you.

What if I don’t find the answer to my general question?

If you were unable to find the information you were seeking, contact us. If you think the answer to your question may be helpful to other people, we invite you to send your comments through the feedback form. We work hard to make information more accessible to our customers and the public and look forward to hearing from you.

How do I get help to resolve a problem with my child support case?

The best way to take care of an issue is at the local child support office that handles your case. If you have not yet talked to a lead worker or manager at the local child support office, contact the office assigned to your case and ask to speak to them.

If you have already done this and your issue has not been resolved, contact Constituent Services by phone at 503-947-4388 or by email at

What if I have a grievance?

Parties in child support cases are entitled to fair, professional, courteous, and accurate service from the offices of the Oregon Child Support Program.

If you have not received this level of service, please contact a supervisor in that office. If speaking to a supervisor does not resolve the issue, you may wish to file a grievance using the Child Support Grievance Form (PDF). The form contains instructions for filing the grievance, including the address where it should be sent. Your grievance will be screened, and if accepted, responded to within 90 days.


Do I have to make payments through the Oregon Department of Justice?

You are required to make payments through the Oregon Department of Justice if:

  • your child support order states that payments must be made in this manner.
  • one of the parties on your child support case submitted an application for child support services.
  • your child is receiving some form of public assistance and support is assigned to the state.
  • your child received some form of public assistance from the state in the past and there are child support arrears assigned to the state.

If child support is not assigned to the state, you may elect—or the court may authorize—payment to a checking or savings account, or by electronic transfer to an account maintained by a licensed escrow agent. For you to elect another payment method, both you and the other parent must agree to close your case with the Oregon Child Support Program.

For more information, submit an inquiry through your online account or contact Customer Service at or 800-850-0228.

Where can I mail a child support payment?

Mail checks or money orders payable to Oregon Child Support Program to:

Oregon Child Support Program
Oregon Department of Justice
PO Box 14506
Salem, Oregon 97309

Please include the child support case numbers or the last four digits of the Social Security Number.

Most parents who pay support use income withholding to pay their child support obligations. This means the employer automatically withholds child support payments from the parent’s paycheck and sends them to the Oregon Child Support Program.

If granted an exception, the parent who pays support may choose an alternative method of payment, such as an electronic payment withdrawal from their bank account, payment by check, or money order.

For more information, see Pay Support.

Do I have any alternatives to income withholding?

All new or modified child support orders normally require income withholding. The court or Oregon Child Support Program may grant an exception to income withholding by making a written finding that there is “good cause” not to require income withholding. This means you must show that income withholding would not be in the child’s best interest and that you have made all previous payments on time.

If child support payments are already being withheld from your income, you may request an exception once each of the following conditions has been met.

If you and the other parent agree to an alternative method of paying support:

  • you have paid any past-due support you owe due to missed payments.
  • you authorize payment of support from your bank account each month by completing an application for electronic payment withdrawal (EPW).
  • the other parent consents to payment by EPW or, if money is owed to the state, the state agrees to payment by EPW.
  • you have not been disqualified from EPW within the last 12 months.

If your support order says you must pay only when your child is in state care, you must:

  • request an exception in writing.
  • have not been disqualified from EPW during the last 12 months.
  • have paid all past-due support on time and continue to make all your payments on time.

If you get an exception to income withholding and then fall behind paying support, income withholding will be reinstated and EPW will be cancelled. This could happen if you do not keep enough money in your bank account to cover your monthly support payments. Income withholding also could begin if you close your bank account.

For more information about getting an exception, submit an inquiry through your online account or contact Customer Service at 800-850-0228 or

My income has been reduced because of a layoff. Can I request a modification due to a change of circumstances? (posted 5-11-2022)

Yes, you may request a modification when there is substantial change in circumstance. OAR 137-055-3420 and OAR 137-055-3430.

Received an email saying, “New document in your online account”?

The Oregon Child Support Program is now uploading some documents to your online account. If you have an online account, you can retrieve your documents by logging in to your online account and going to the Documents section. You can set up an online account, request a new PIN, or resend your password directly from the online account login page. Online Account User Guide