FAQs for Participants

Learn more about applying for child support.
  • Category:

Top 10 Most Viewed

Open All

Will this affect the current child support I receive?

Maybe. You may voluntarily request we use future support to pay the receivable caused by the overpayment. Or, if you do not send us a payment or comply with a payment agreement, we can withhold 20% of each of your future child support payments until the debt is repaid. Even if an agreement has been made, if no payments are received on a receivable account within 90 days of the date on the first notice, it may be referred to the Oregon Department of Revenue for collection. If a payment is not received on a receivable account at least once every 90 days, the debt also may be referred to the Department of Revenue.

Who can I contact about changing the current child support laws?

The Oregon Child Support Program itself does not have the authority to make changes to state or federal laws.

Oregon State Legislature – Find Your Legislator »

You may also email your concern or suggestion to Constituent Services at Constituent.Desk@doj.state.or.us.

Are all payments of child support sent electronically?

All child support payments to parents receiving support are intended to be paid electronically. Child support disbursements are made either by direct deposit to a bank account or onto a ReliaCard—unless an exception has been granted. The first payment may be sent by check.

If the error was not my fault, am I still responsible?

Yes. No matter what – or who – caused the error, you received a financial benefit and are responsible for repayment. Either funds were sent to you that should not have been, or you received credit for a payment, but we did not receive the related funds. The receivable amount created by the overpayment must be collected back by the Oregon Child Support Program.

Am I going to be charged a fee?

You may be charged a fee in some circumstances. If your receivable resulted from a dishonored payment, you may be charged a fee of $35. This fee applies to checks and electronic payments. We will charge the fee one time only, even if we try to deposit your payment more than once.

If you do not repay the receivable, and we must send the debt for collection to the Oregon Department of Revenue, a fee up to 30 percent of the referred amount may be added to cover the cost of collections.

My income has been reduced because of a layoff. Can I request a modification due to a change of circumstances? (posted 5-11-2022)

Yes, you may request a modification when there is substantial change in circumstance. OAR 137-055-3420 and OAR 137-055-3430.

I received a notice telling me I owe an overpayment debt (creating a receivable). What if I disagree with the notice?

Your written request for an administrative review of the debt must be received within 30 days from the date of the first notice you received. We will complete the review within 30 days of your request and send a written response.

What does “dishonored payment” mean?

A dishonored payment is a payment that was returned unpaid to the Oregon DOJ Division of Child Support from your bank. Payments can be returned dishonored due to a lack of funds in your account, a closed account, an inaccurate account number, or similar reasons.

What happens if I cancel my direct deposit?

We will cancel it so payments will not be deposited to your account. A ReliaCard may be automatically set up for you within the next 30 days.

Do I have the option to make multiple payments?

You will receive a payment agreement with your notice. The agreement allows you to  select different repayment options. Fill out the payment agreement and mail it to:

Oregon Department of Justice
Oregon Child Support Program
Attn: Overpayments
PO Box 14320
Salem, OR 97309

Or email a copy of the agreement to ChildSupportOverpayments@doj.state.or.us.