Crime Victims’ Compensation Information

For Medical Providers

Helpful information for providers when submitting bills to Crime Victim’s Compensation (CVC)

As a licensed medical provider, the services you provide to a victim of crime may be eligible for compensation through the program. Please use the CVC portal to submit bills, explanation of benefits, and chart notes.

CVC Portal

The CVC Portal will allow you to check the status of the application and payments that have been processed, request status of bills submitted to CVC, and upload documents. Please submit applications through the CVC Portal for a more efficient process.

Setting Up Your Portal Account

1. Visit the CVC Portal registration page. »
2. Use your agency email address and choose “provider” as your role.

The Provider Tutorial (PDF)» includes helpful information about using the CVC Portal.

What are some tips when checking status on bills that were submitted?

• You can see all of the documents that you have uploaded (it is important that you label the documents so that you will know what you submitted). Ex: Bill Legacy 3.12.21 $312
• If we have processed a payment, you will be able to see details in the payment screen.
• If you do not see a payment, then the bill has not been processed. If we need more information from you, we will contact you.
• If you do need to send an email regarding a bill, please select “need assistance on a claim” and select “claim status” through the portal and give detailed information about the bill in question.

Experiencing technical difficulties while using the CVC Portal? Request help at


Please refer to the frequently asked questions below or use the CVC portal to contact the specialist who is assigned to the claim.

Crime Victims’ Compensation Program FAQs

Open All

Am I eligible for reimbursement from the Crime Victims' Compensation Program (CVCP) for the services I provided?

Medical Providers - To be eligible for reimbursement the following requirements must be met:

  • A CVC claim has been accepted.
  • The service provided is crime related.
  • The provider has proper licensure.
  • All prior resources (such as private insurance, OHP, PIP) have been billed.
  • The bill is submitted within one year from date of service.
  • The award amount is not exhausted.

Note: If the patient has insurance, they must see a participating provider. If the patient has insurance and does not see a participating provider, CVC will not pay for the treatment unless CVC has waived this requirement for good cause.

Mental Health Professionals - After 15 sessions a treatment plan is required before more sessions can be authorized. The provider must be licensed.

Chiropractors, Acupuncturists, Massage Therapists - After the first five visits are paid, CVC requires a current referral from an Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) for continued payment.

Funeral Homes - Funeral homes cannot apply directly for CVC benefits. A person who is financially responsible for the funeral expenses must complete the application for benefits. Funeral homes cannot apply on behalf of the victim. When uploading funeral bills, please select “bill (funeral expense)” from the dropdown.

If a patient has an accepted Crime Victims’ Compensation claim, is it a guarantee of payment?

No. All bills must be reviewed to verify that:

  • the service provided is crime related.
  • the provider has proper licensure.
  • all prior resources (such as private insurance, OHP, PIP) have been billed.
  • the bill submitted within one year from date of service.
  • the award amount is not exhausted.

Note: Medical chart notes and EOBs should be submitted with bills to expedite bill review and payment.

When will I receive payment?

Once we receive all required documents, we will process your bill as quickly as possible. Bill preparation and review times vary depending on the volume of bills we receive. However, we attempt to review all bills within one week of receiving the last required document.

After the payment is approved, it is forwarded to the fiscal department and the payment is issued. Generally, payment takes approximately two weeks to be issued after it's approved. Payments are sent via U.S. Mail or direct deposit.

Are authorized counseling sessions a guarantee of payment?

After 15 sessions a treatment plan is required before more sessions can be authorized. Authorized sessions are not a guarantee of payment . All bills must be reviewed to determine if treatment is crime related, to ensure all prior resources have been utilized and provider is licensed. Session notes, if requested, and EOBs should be submitted with bills to expedite review and payment.

Additionally, bills may be subject to our fee schedule detailed below.

Can I be paid in advance?

No, CVC can only pay after services have been performed.

Can treatment be preauthorized?

In limited circumstances, such as dental treatment, a provider may submit a request for preauthorization. Providers must include the proposed treatment plan, billing codes and fees, and past chart notes and diagnoses of the patient. Authorization will be granted or denied in writing.
Please contact the examiner or specialist assigned to the claim through the portal for more information.

If my patient has insurance, but I do not accept their insurance, will Crime Victims’ Compensation pay?

Generally, no. CVC is defined by statute as the “payer of last resort.” This means that compensation can only be paid when no other resource is available to the victim. If a victim has private insurance, Oregon Health Plan, Automobile Personal Injury Protection (in automobile involved claims), or other coverage, the victim is REQUIRED to use that resource.
However, if there is a compelling reason why the victim cannot use their prior resource (for example, there are no qualified providers within a reasonable distance of the victim’s residence) the victim or applicant may submit a written request for a waiver.

How was my payment calculated?

Medical Providers (except ambulance) - Compensation is calculated using the Workers’ Compensation Fee Schedule ».

Ambulance – Compensation for ambulance services is subject to our fee schedule.

Mental Health Providers - Compensation is subject to our fee schedule, which states the maximum payment per hour for the following services:

  • QMHP - $75.00 per hour
  • LPC, LCSW, LMFT - $105.00 per hour
  • PSY’D, PH’D, PMHNP - $130.00 per hour
  • MD, DO - $160.00 per hour

Dental Providers - Compensation for dental services are calculated using the Dental Customized Fee Analyzer.

What does "100% crime related" mean?

For a bill to be payable, the services provided must be crime related. Bills for services that are not 100% crime related will be reduced by a percentage in relation to the portion of the bill that is not crime related.

For example, if you are a primary care physician who saw a crime victim and spent half of the appointment evaluating the progress of a healing fracture sustained during a criminal assault and the other half discussing their allergies or other pre-existing conditions, the bill would be paid at 50%.

If I have a patient who I believe is the victim of a crime who may qualify for compensation, to whom should I refer them?

Please refer the patient/victim to the District Attorney’s Victim Assistance Program in the county in which the alleged crime occurred for assistance in applying for CVC.  The patient/victim can also register for the CVC Portal and submit an application here:

Application for Crime Victim Compensation » | Solicitud De Indemnización Para Víctimas De Crímenes »

Who do I contact if I have additional questions?

Please email and we will be happy to assist you.