Address Confidentiality Program (ACP)

Protecting Addresses for Victims

The Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) is a free mail forwarding service. It helps survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking or human trafficking shield their physical address.

Program participants are provided with a substitute address to use instead of their real address. Participants may use the substitute address for:

  • the delivery of first class, certified and registered mail.
  • obtaining an Oregon driver’s license or ID card.
  • receiving or paying child support.
  • applying for a marriage license.
  • enrolling dependents in public school.

Participation in the ACP by itself does not guarantee anyone’s safety. ACP staff do not provide threat-assessment or safety-planning and are not allowed to offer legal advice.

Apply With a Certified Application Assistant

To apply to the Address Confidentiality Program, you must work with a victim advocate who has been designated as an Application Assistant by the Attorney General. Find an Application Assistant near you.

Advocates who are interested in becoming a Certified Application Assistant may click here to access ACP Training.

Contact the ACP

ACP staff work with applicants and participants by phone, fax, email or regular mail. If you choose to write using the P.O. Box below, please include your contact information so we can reach you.

For more information, please refer to the frequently asked questions below or contact us at:

P.O. Box 1108
Salem, OR 97308

Phone: 503-373-1323
Toll-free (Oregon only): 1-888-559-9090
Fax: 503-373-1340


Address Confidentiality Program FAQs

Open All

How should ACP mail be addressed?

It is very important that all mail received by the ACP has the participant ACP number included in the address.  This is how mail is routed to the appropriate participant.  The address does not need to include ACP before the number.  Below are examples of how mail should be addressed:

Jane Doe
PO Box 1108 999-19
Salem, OR 97308-1108


Jane Doe
PO Box 1108
Salem, OR 97308-1108


Jane Doe 999-19
PO Box 1108
Salem, OR 97308-1108

Senders should be notified that they should not indicate that this is a PO Box in their system.  If they check that it is a PO Box, it doesn’t allow room for the ACP number.  If the sender if having issues adding the ACP number, please have them contact the ACP by emailing

What if I am considering a Confidential Name Change?

You must already be an ACP participant to qualify for a confidential name change.
Reach out to an advocate near you to consider the risks and benefits. Click here for local agencies. Click here for Confidential Name Change info.

You may want to consider discussing your options with an attorney. If you need assistance finding a lawyer or for information about the Modest Means Program click here or call the Oregon State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service at 503.684.3763 or 800.452.7636.

ACP staff do not provide threat-assessment or safety-planning and are not allowed to offer legal advice.

What if I am considering a new Oregon Driver’s license number or customer number from the DMV?

See DMV Customer Number Detail Sheet.

What if I’m considering changing my Social Security Number?

Follow this link for more information.

What if I’m considering purchasing a home?

You may want to consider discussing your options with a real estate attorney. If you need assistance finding a lawyer or for information about the Modest Means Program click here or call the Oregon State Bar’s Lawyer Referral Service at 503.684.3763 or 800.452.7636.

You should also reach out to your local County Clerk’s office to discuss the steps in concealing your new address.

ACP staff do not provide threat-assessment or safety-planning and are not allowed to offer legal advice.

How do I change my address with the ACP?

You must notify the ACP in writing within 10 days of a change to your residential address, mailing address or phone number. You may submit a Change of Address or Telephone Number form » by regular mail, by fax, or by email as an attached .PDF or .JPG (less than 1MB).

The form MUST contain your signature to verify your identity. The ACP cannot accept an electronic signature at this time.

Am I eligible for the ACP?

To be eligible for the ACP you must live in Oregon, and

  • be over 18 years old*, and
  • be a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking, and
  • have recently relocated (or are about to relocate) to an address unknown to the perpetrator(s) or any government agencies.

*Parents or guardians may apply on behalf of incapacitated adults and minor children who are otherwise eligible for the ACP.

NOTE: If you do not live in Oregon, find out if your state has a confidential address program with the Address Confidentiality Programs in the United States (PDF) ».

What kind of mail is forwarded?

All first-class, certified, and registered mail is forwarded.

Magazines, packages and junk mail are not forwarded. Packages are refused at the Post Office and returned to the sender. Magazines and junk mail are confidentially shredded and recycled.

The ACP may also accept legal process service (aka “get served”) on your behalf.

How do I apply for the ACP?

To apply for the ACP you must meet with an Application Assistant (AA) in your area.

The AA is a victim advocate designated by the Attorney General who helps you:

  • conduct safety planning.
  • understand the program services, participant rights and responsibilities.
  • determine eligibility.
  • complete the application.

Will I get my own Post Office box?

No. Every participant in the program uses the same Post Office box in Salem, Oregon. However, each household in the program is assigned a unique ACP Code that ensures mail is delivered correctly and without delay.

Is the ACP like a witness protection program?

No. The program cannot hide you or help you “go underground”. Although a recent confidential relocation is required to apply, the ACP does not offer financial assistance to help you move or obtain suitable housing.

Does the ACP remove or delete information about me that already exists in records?

No. As a program participant, you may use an assigned substitute address for creating a new public record. The ACP cannot remove or delete information that already exists in public record.

This is one of the reasons why an applicant must move (or be moving) to a location unknown to their abuser or any government agency to apply to the program.

Will my address ever be disclosed?

Yes. The ACP is required to disclose your address or phone number upon receipt of a court order signed by a judge.

Will I be notified if my address has been disclosed?

Yes. In the event of disclosure of an actual address or phone number, you will be notified within one business day.

Is participation in the ACP confidential?

No. Your residential address and phone number is kept confidential, but being a participant in the program is not confidential.

ACP staff can verify participation on request by a public body for official use. They can also provide verification to a private entity or financial institution if a participant asks them to do so.

Does my participation in the ACP expire?

Program participation lasts four years, unless otherwise cancelled or withdrawn. Participation can be renewed for an additional four years prior to expiration. Prior to your expiration date please print, sign and submit the renewal form to ACP. The form can be emailed to or faxed to 503-373-1340.

Can other household members participate in the ACP?

Yes. Any person who lives in the same household as a program participant may also receive ACP services. All household members over age 18 must also complete an application in addition to being listed as a co-applicant by the primary applicant.

Can I be cancelled from the program?

Yes. Your participation in the program may be cancelled for the following reasons:

  • You provided false or incorrect information on an ACP application.
  • You do not notify the ACP in writing of a change in residential or mailing address, or telephone number within ten days.
  • You do not notify the ACP of a legal name change within 30 days.
  • Mail forwarded to you is returned to the ACP as undeliverable.
  • You do not submit a renewal application at least 30 days prior to the expiration date.
  • You no longer want to be in the program and request to be withdrawn.

Can I appeal a cancellation?

Yes. If your participation is cancelled, you will be notified by the ACP in writing. The notice will include an appeal form, which may be submitted within 30 days of the notice.

Are there ways I cannot use the substitute address?

Yes. The ACP does not relieve you of your legal or financial responsibilities, or from having to provide actual address information to receive certain services from state or local government agencies. You also cannot use the substitute address for a supervised offender’s record.

Convicted sex offenders who are required to register their residential address with criminal justice agencies are not allowed to use the substitute address for community registration purposes.