Need Immediate Help?
Shelters, Advocacy Programs and Legal Assistance »
National Suicide Prevention Hotline »
County Victim-Assistance Programs »
Victim Services Resource Page»
For assistance with rent, use this link.
Hate/Bias Crime and Incident Reports »
Consumer and Business Fraud»
Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral and Modest Means Programs »
Legal Aid »
Disability Rights Oregon »
Easing Financial Burdens for Victims and Their Families
Oregon Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) Program was created to assist victims of violent crime with expenses associated with the crime. This includes domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, robbery, (CVC cannot replace items that were stolen during the robbery), assault, homicide, or other compensable crime resulting in a physical or psychological injury. In the aftermath of a crime, the CVC works to ease the financial burden suffered by hundreds of Oregonians each year.
CVC is unable to provide immediate financial assistance.
CVC cannot reimburse damages for property crimes, or pay for relocation costs. If you are looking for housing assistance, please contact your local advocacy program» .
If you received a pocket card from law enforcement, please reach out to the number listed for your local County Victim Assistance Program » for assistance.
An approved claim may include the following benefits for victims and their families:
- mental health counseling expenses for victims and family members of children of sexual or physical abuse with a licensed provider
- medical and hospital expenses
- replacement of damaged eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures and other medically necessary devices and expenses (must be mentioned in the police report or medical chart notes)
- rehabilitation expenses (up to $4,000 award)
- loss of earnings (missed earnings must be verified and more than two weeks must be verified by a physician)
- funeral expenses (up to $5,000 award)
- loss of financial support to dependents of homicide victims (earnings must be verified)
- grief counseling expenses for relatives of homicide victims with a licensed provider
- counseling expenses for children who witness domestic violence with a licensed provider
- counseling expenses for family members of any victim of international terrorism who resides in Oregon
Medical insurance is a prior resource and must be utilized prior to CVC reimbursement.
Apply for Crime Victims’ Compensation
It is highly recommended that applicants work with an advocate in a county Victim Assistance Program » office, or a non-profit victim assistance » office in filling out the application. For questions about Crime Victims Compensation, including eligibility, please see frequently asked questions» .
To apply for compensation online, please use this online form:
Apply by Mail:
The application must be signed and dated by the victim or applicant. To file an application for a sexual assault or a domestic violence incident that was not reported to police, no protective order was obtained and no sexual assault examination conducted, one may apply for a counseling benefit here:
The completed application can be securely emailed or mailed to the Crime Victim Compensation Program. The application must be signed and dated by the victim or applicant.
For assistance filling out an application, please contact the local District Attorney’s Victim Assistance Program. »
- Crime Victims’ Compensation (PDF) »
- Crime Victims’ Compensation – screen reader version (PDF)»
- Compensación Para Víctimas de Crímen (PDF)»
- Crime Victims’ Compensation – Russian (PDF)»
- Crime Victims’ Compensation – Korean (PDF)»
- Crime Victims’ Compensation – Vietnamese (PDF)»
- Crime Victims’ Compensation – Simplified Chinese (PDF)»
- Understanding Crime Victims’ Compensation and Child Assessment Centers (PDF)»
- Understanding Crime Victims’ Compensation and Child Assessment Centers – screen reader version (PDF)»
- Entiendo El Programa de Compensación Para Victimas de Crimen Y Centros de Evaluación Infantil (PDF)»
Crime Victims’ Compensation Program
Oregon Department of Justice
1162 Court St. NE
Salem, Oregon 97301-4096